The Cyprus Fast Track Business Activation mechanism was approved by the Cyprus Council of Ministers on the 3rd of September 2020 aiming to further attract foreign business to Cyprus as well as to provide fast and efficient services and benefits to foreign businesses wishing to establish a presence in Cyprus. Existing Cyprus companies and Cyprus businesses may also activate the Cyprus Fast Track Business Activation mechanism. The Cyprus Business Activation mechanism is operated by the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, and Industry aiming to enhance Cyprus economic growth
International Cyprus Companies interested in joining the Cyprus Fast Business Activation mechanism should meet the following criteria.
- International Cyprus Companies should have a physical presence in Cyprus including the establishment/operation of independent offices that are separate from any private residence.
- Existing Cyprus companies should have a minimum turnover of €500.000 per year for 3 out of the last 5 years
- New Cyprus companies should provide a reliable 5-year business plan illustrating growth potential
Cyprus Business Activation Mechanism services
- Provision of Services for the establishment of a Cyprus company:
Assisting Cyprus companies to obtain all necessary registrations for the establishment of a business from a single point of contact, including the following:
- Cyprus Company registration and name approval
- Registration with the Cyprus Social Insurance Registry and the Employers’ Registry
- Registration with the VAT Registry and in the Income Tax
- Guidance for the establishment and operation of companies in Cyprus
Provision of information for all the necessary permits required by the Cyprus company in order to start operations.
- Facilitation for the issuance of residence and employment permits in Cyprus is part of the Cyprus Fast Track Business Activation Mechanism
Facilitating the issuing of residence and employment permits in Cyprus for third-country nationals.
The Cyprus Council of Ministers, on the 7th of October 2020, approved a revision of the Policy for the Issue of Residence and Employment Permits for companies of foreign interests registered in Cyprus. The revised Policy defines the criteria on the basis of which facilitation services will be provided for residence and employment permits of third-country nationals. This applies to both existing and new companies under conditions.
Fast Track Cyprus Business Activation mechanism benefits
- There are no restrictions on the maximum duration of stay of third-country nationals under this category of stay in the Republic (Directors, Key Personnel, Specialists).
- It is not required to secure a sealed employment contract from the Department of Labour for third-country nationals under the Categories of Directors, Key Personnel, and Specialists, as defined above.
- Third-country nationals with residence and employment permits under this Policy have direct access to family reunification with their family members (spouse and minor children), provided that the relevant conditions of the Aliens and Immigration Law, Cap.105 as amended, are met.
- The issuance of a temporary residence and employment permit under the abovementioned categories of stay (Directors, Key Personnel, Specialists) is allowed when the entry of the third-country national into the Republic was made with a visa and not by previously securing an entry permit from the Civil Registry and Migration Department.
Revised Policy for the issuance of temporary Residence and Employment Permits to third-country nationals employed in companies of foreign interests operating in Cyprus
- Third-country shareholders should own the majority of the Cyprus company’s shares.
The following cases are excluded:
- Public companies registered in any recognized stock exchange
- Former Cyprus offshore companies that were operating in Cyprus by approval of the Cyprus Central Bank, before the change of their offshore status.
- Cypriot shipping companies.
- Cypriot companies of high technology/innovation will be certified by the Deputy Ministry of Research, Innovation, and Digital Policy based on the applicable framework.
- Cypriot pharmaceutical companies or companies operating in the fields of biogenetics and biotechnology.
- Persons who have acquired Cypriot citizenship by naturalization based on economic criteria, given that they will prove that the conditions under which they were naturalized are still met.
If the percentage of foreign participation in the Cyprus company’s share capital is equal to or less than 50% of the total share capital, in order for the Cyprus company to be considered eligible, then the foreign participation should represent an amount equal to or greater than the amount of € 200.000.
- Foreign direct investment of at least € 200.000, for the purposes of operating the company in Cyprus.
- The establishment/ operation of independent offices in Cyprus, in suitable premises, separate from any private housing or another office, except in the case of business cohabitation.
Cyprus companies that meet the above conditions are entitled to employ third-country nationals in the following categories, provided that they first obtain temporary residence and employment permits.
In this category, the following third-country nationals are included:
- Directors or Partners registered with the Cyprus Department of Registrar of Companies and Intellectual Property.
- General Managers of branches and of subsidiary companies of foreign companies
- Departmental Managers
- Project Managers
The minimum acceptable gross monthly salary for Directors is €4.000, which may be adjusted from time to time, depending on fluctuations in the wage index.
Five (5) is the maximum number of third-country nationals that can be employed under this category, unless the Civil Registry and Migration Department are satisfied that the employment of a greater number is justified, depending on the circumstances of each company.
- Middle management executives and other key personnel:
In this category, the following third-country nationals are included:
- Upper/middle management personnel
- Other administrative, secretarial, or technical staff
The minimum acceptable gross monthly salary for this category is €2.000 which may be adjusted from time to time, depending on wage index fluctuations.
Ten (10) is the maximum number of third-country nationals that can be employed under this category, unless the Civil Registry and Migration Department is satisfied that the employment of a greater number is justified, depending on the circumstances of each company.
Companies are entitled to employ third-country nationals in professions / with skills as listed in Table 1. The number of employees that may be employed by each company will be determined based on its turnover, as described in Table 2.
The minimum acceptable gross monthly earnings for Specialists is €2.000, an amount that can be adjusted from time to time, depending on fluctuations in the wage index.
Professions / Skills
- Software and System Engineers
- Application and Data Architects
- ICT and Enterprise Solution Architects
- Technical Assurance Professionals
- Telecom and Space Engineers
- Data scientists
- Machine Learning Engineers
- Web Developers and designers
- UX User Experience Professionals
- Quantitative Analysts
- Quality Assurance Analysts
- Mobile Application Developers
- Augmented Reality/ Virtual Reality Programmers
- Digital Marketing Specialists
- Video Production Multimedia Specialists for Mobile Apps and Software
- Analysts for Mobile Apps and Software
- Designers of Prototype for Mobile Devices
- DevOps Engineers
- Cyber Security Specialists
- Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Big Data Specialists
- Pharmaceutical Formulation Technologists
- Pharmaceutical Engineer Validation Specialists
- Pharmaceutical Patents Specialists
- Pharmaceutical Regulatory and Quality Assurance Professionals
- Marine Engineers
- Naval Architects
The maximum number of third-country nationals that may be employed in this category is shown in Table 2 below:
|Number of Employees
|Application Examination Timeframe
|Up to 5
|>€1 – €3 million
|Up to 10
|>€3 – €5 million
|Up to 20
|>€5 – €10 million
|Up to 30
|>€10 – €20 million
|Up to 50
|>€20 – €30 million
|Up to 100
Cyprus Companies already registered in the Register of Foreign Companies of the Civil Registry and Migration Department, are considered eligible and can automatically benefit from the Policy for the employment of third-country nationals in the Specialists’ category.
- Support staff:
All third-country nationals not included in the above categories. A Cyprus company may employ third-country nationals in posts in this category by following the General Employment procedure, by first securing the positive recommendation (sealed employment contract) of the Department of Labour.
Given the market test by the Department of Labour, a Cyprus company may staff up to 30% of its total personnel with third-country nationals in posts in this category. The market test is not necessary for third-country nationals with free access to the labor market.
Exceeding the maximum allowed number of employees from third countries in each category
For employing a greater number of third-country personnel under the above categories, duly justified and documented requests by the company must be submitted to the Department. The requests must include information on the salary offered as well as:
- Cyprus company’s turnover
- The ratio of third-country employees to Cypriots / EU Nationals and
- The company’s operating time in Cyprus.
In order to exceed the limit of more than 300 third-country nationals employed in categories 1-3 above, the consent of the Council of Ministers is required.
Cyprus Fast Track Application Mechanism Submission of Application
Businesses expressing interest in transferring their operations to Cyprus and wishing to benefit from the above provisions should submit a request to MECI accompanied by.
- A letter of expression of interest in establishing a presence in Cyprus (in the case of companies not already operating in Cyprus).
- The certificate of incorporation of the company, shareholder certificate and articles of association (in English or Greek), Directors Certificate
- Audited Financial Accounts for the 3 of the last 5 years (only in the case of existing companies operating abroad and wishing to set up a presence in Cyprus)
- Business plan for the next 5 years (only in the case of completely new businesses which do not have a presence abroad and wish to set up a presence in Cyprus)
How Can We Help
Please contact us to share any questions you have about the above topic
Tel. +357 22 340000
Email: [email protected]
The authors expressly disclaim all and any liability and responsibility to any person, entity, or corporation who acts or fails to act as a consequence of any reliance upon the whole or any part of the contents of this publication.
Accordingly, no person, entity, or corporation should act or rely upon any matter or information as contained or implied within this publication without first obtaining advice from an appropriately qualified professional person or firm of advisors, and ensuring that such advice specifically relates to their particular circumstances.